Corporate Commercial Licensing Attorney – Seeds & Biotech
Who are we, and what do we do?
Corteva Agriscience creates the world's most recognized and premium agricultural solutions to address the greatest challenges in agriculture. With a focus on technology, Corteva Agriscience creates seed and crop protection products that increase productivity and profit for farmers while reducing risks to their business. Every day our digital tools deliver insights our global partners need to thrive now and into the future.
As the world’s first dedicated agriculture start-up, we’re building a culture that stays curious, thinks differently, acts boldly and takes a stand on what’s right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. We know we’ve got big challenges to solve – we hope you'll be part of the solution. Whether you are in the lab or on the farm, teaching classes or crafting code – we need bold thinkers and fearless doers to bring their best to the job at hand. Every role at Corteva Agriscience includes an opportunity to grow what matters.
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel for Seeds and Traits Business Platform, the Corporate Commercial Licensing Attorny – Seeds & Biotech is responsible for providing legal guidance, counsel, drafting and strategic input to business development teams in support of various complex collaborations that result in the in and out licensing agreements of biotechnology in support of primarily seeds product development and sale. Additionally, the candidate will work closely with the intellectual property group in supporting the technology, transfer, and licensing group, which is responsible for in and out-licensing of material and technology.
This is a position with responsibility to help drive strategic solutions and decisions for the business in furtherance of product development and product launch especially in the biotech space. The successful candidate should have strong experience and background in drafting and negotiating complex licensing and commercial agreements and transactions, be able to collaborate across legal and business teams to drive successful conclusions to business arrangements and be able to handle multiple and varied legal work on timely and efficient basis. Background in biosciences and patent law a plus.
This role is based in Johnston, Iowa and may require some travel.
What will you do – How will you help us Grow?
- Working independently, provide timely and efficient legal services to the Seeds and Biotech Business Platform on commercial and transactional matters.
- Take lead in devising negotiation strategies, as well as assist business in the negotiation of complex business arrangements.
- Promptly draft, review and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements, major collaborations, and licensing of technology.
- Actively participate as a member of number of leadership management teams.
- Provide directly or in cooperation with other Corteva in-house counsel client education and training on critical issues.
- Manage and direct outside counsel to ensure the most effective and efficient utilization of resources to support client objectives.
- Consistently anticipate, guard against, and propose mitigation strategies for the management of potential contractual, compliance and financial risks.
- Support both the North America commercial and global regional legal teams on biotech issues as needed.
- Coordinate directly with the Strategic Agreement Compliance teams to ensure compliance and appropriate implementation of strategic licensing arrangements.
What expertise have you grown – What do you bring to the table?
- Law Degree appropriate to the jurisdiction served. Licensed to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.
- Minimum of six years of commensurate experience.
- Experience in licensing and intellectual property law is strongly preferred.
- Strategic: Demonstrate strategic focus and remain cognizant of the long-term interests and objectives of legal, business and the company, alongside execution of tactical and day-to-day initiatives.
- Accountable: Accountable for all aspects of role. Accept responsibility for own actions as leader, individual contributor, and team member.
- Transparent: Effectively communicate risks to leadership and team members. Act ethically and always demonstrate integrity.
- Innovative: Identify or create a multitude of possible solutions instead of searching for one “correct” answer. Respect other opinions and be able to drive consensus.
- Collaborative: Foster trusted relationships of mutual respect and collaboration with senior business representatives, as well as business and legal colleagues. Seeks information to understand circumstances, problems, expectations and needs.
- Proactive: Provide proactive substantive legal advice and guidance aligned with business needs and strategies.
Take the next step to #GrowWhatMatters in your career with Corteva and apply today. We look forward to seeing your application.
Community/Location Information – How the community can help you and your family to grow!
Johnston/Des Moines, Iowa
Our Johnston, Iowa campus is home to 2,500 employees whose mission is simple – to feed the world. While our employees are busy working to solve world hunger and ensure environmental sustainability, we’re taking care of them by offering convenience and comfort during the workday with an onsite fitness center, coffee shop and top-notch cafeteria touting a grill, deli, fresh salad bar and a variety of healthy menu options. Need some fresh air during your workday? Take advantage of our beautiful, tree-lined walking trails or relax by the pond. We also offer countless opportunities to connect with your colleagues through community volunteerism, sports teams, parties, and holiday events. Did we mention you’ll be working in state-of-the art buildings with the latest technology with colleagues from all over the world? Join us in bringing food into homes around the globe, as we make you feel at home while you’re at work.
Des Moines, Iowa is the fastest-growing major metropolitan area in the Midwest with a nationally ranked high quality of living. It’s nicknamed the Silicon Prairie for its place as an up-and-coming hot spot for technology. Living here means Saturdays at the nationally renowned Downtown Farmers' Market, sporting events, and a robust downtown night life, with one of the most vibrant cultural arts scenes in the Midwest. If you enjoy the outdoors, Des Moines offers literally hundreds of miles of beautiful nature trails for a casual walking, running or biking.
It means going to a job you love and coming home to a community of friends and family. Communities care about their residents and residents care about their communities, making a difference for everyone who lives here. This is a place where culture flourishes and opportunities grow, where a work-life balance can be achieved, where education is unmatched, and award-winning arts and entertainment are right around the corner.
Corteva Agriscience™ is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to boldly embracing the power of inclusion, diversity, and equity to enrich the lives of our employees and strengthen the performance of our company, while advancing equity in agriculture. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. Discrimination, harassment and retaliation are inconsistent with our values and will not be tolerated. If you require a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit:
To all recruitment agencies: Corteva does not accept unsolicited third party resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.